Finished Work

IMG_3240(20171210-113229)??.jpg

IMG_2589.JPG

Between Us and Stuff

IMG_1453??.JPG

Space 

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG.1

Altered Spaces

IMG_8638.JPG

Collection

IMG_9135?? 2.JPG

Material News

Options

1. Chelsea College of Arts 

2. Central Saint Martins

3. Slade School of Fine Art (BA) 

4. Edinburgh College of Art 

5. Camberwell 

Personal Statement

first draft 

A drop-out and one year wonderer can not be clearer (sure) enough to take Fine Art as her future study. Some choose the subject for the ‘love’ (‘love’?) of costumes, forms of architectures, products – designers, I am one of those who has found out ‘what do I really want to do’, then do it, pursuing something I feel much more interesting and hold the curiosities. To put ideas out there through this platform – it’s expressive, it’s free (at least it’s what I think at this stage), it’s immersive, emotional, logical, alongside with the aspects of observations that you see with the surroundings, society, people or something more abstract – the dream, desire, of human, the physical world, the non-existent castles that artists build for participants (audiences) , to reveal the truth (‘what is the truth?’ ‘what is art?’)…

Currently I’m studying at Central Saint Martins for Foundation courses in Fine Art pathway, specialized into sculpture, not as much as painting at this stage , which is out of my comfort zone. Trying out new things, cross-fields with paint, making things that I’ve never put myself out of the box (canvas) to do… I know as artists, they do not restrict themselves with ‘painting only’ for life.   Experiment is all it takes, to push boundaries, to put out a manifesto like Dadaism, going extreme, revoke the tradition, redefine the media, be an activist… (I want to be a part of them – inspiring, criticizing as philosophers subjectively speak out the underworld about humanity…)… The myth of ‘contemporarily art’ shall be revealed someday or I never would understand.

To be honest, most of the time, I feel confused about installations or conceptual art pieces (including paintings, but revolution has to be made, ‘what is the definition of modern art or contemporary art?’,). I know a little about the names of contemporary artist but the visual language of the pieces without fully understanding. That is the point why I felt essential to be in this course and I am now – challenging, learning, absorbing. Through months of lectures, projects with reflections recorded (thought progress), I am getting more sense about the core of it now than before, it is transforming (mind-blowing).

I like questioning, I’m afraid I think too much – mindful – paradox (‘double thinking’, ‘stream of consciousness’, might suffer from too many ideas which is not helpful for the project – have to learn to control and every individual should have their own way of approaching to display the piece of work). Questioning and ideas are the fuse of the work. I might not be physically practicing 24/7, considering the idea of ‘art’ or project or painting, but I believe that the things around me (people, and how I relate to them) have some connections in them, every tiny little actions that you saw or did can be an inspiration. If (expressive) paintings are emotion-led, then conceptual art should be coming from thinking – with intelligence, knowledge then manipulate the material, play with them based on artisan skills (not over-produced products you get everywhere). Yes, (almost) “nothing is original”, but turning the ideas into playful imaginative realm, distort them in a way of creation. For example, ‘seems avant-garde disappeared or not existed any more? What can be defined as avant-garde?’ … I have a bucket of doubts to be solved and a right institution is a determination / a part of the reasons to get involved with self-exploration and practices and resources.

It’s (was) silly to say follow my passion, seems everything is gathering in a fake circle, magnetized with same elements – exaggerated fancy words, but paintings (mostly) and exhibitions are one of the most exciting or pleasurable activities within the space. My attitudes toward conceptual art is changing, the depth of the thoughts and meanings behind the work is exciting, not only (shallow) pursuing the adrenaline as the sci-fi special effects – visual aesthetics (outlook / appearance) but also back to the simplicity of everything that’s underneath. 

final 

A drop-out from a fashion institute and one-year wanderer can not be clearer enough to take Fine Art as my future study. I'm one of those people who has found out 'what do I really want to do', then doing it, pursuing something I feel much more interesting. To put ideas out there through this platform - expressive, with freedom, emotional, with logic, alongside with the aspects of observations about the surroundings, people or something more abstract - dreams, desire, the physical world...
Currently I'm studying at Central Saint Martins for Foundation in Fine Art, specialized into Sculpture pathway, which I'm certain I made the right decision to study and for getting more sense while at the same time - confusions about the concept of 'art'.
I've been trying out new things during the course and I know it is cross-field - not with paint on canvas only, but also casting, metal, making things that I've barely put myself to do as challenges... Dadaism is having an impact on me. I like avant-garde pieces for the excitement and boldness they have. To push boundaries, extreme in 'nothing', revoke the tradition, redefine... criticize subjectively, speak out the underworld... I think Ben Vautier's 'Total Art Matchbox' is an example of 'devaluation' to question the object (art) itself. As the piece I did, 'This is Art(sh*t)', I questioned the state, the attitude people show towards the pieces (in galleries) and the doubts I have - 'what is art'. I displayed my development work - formless casting and metal pieces I had made, without carefully put, with dried plant - ritual and a note as 'declarative branding'.
Conceptual art is getting more and more intriguing to me, Marcel Duchamp is one of the artists that I used to know a little about, comparing with traditional painters or abstract expressionists. Now, I am more into contemporary artists, such as Cy Twombly's 'Untitled (New York City)' - the scribbles (marks) to show the mind. The two-week project I did - 'Space', is an example that shows the increasing interests I have in psychology, particularly the relation with neuroscience. Humans are fascinating subject to study, with the complexity of the brain (I wonder what's happening inside). Developing ideas about 'Space' ('what can be the space'; 'how I present the space visually') while doing lots of researches, lectures about neurotransmitters, terms that are relevant, then experiment and paint by discovering potential material - webs, tights...
I wonder what artists are trying to communicate, what the ideas are behind their work. The most interesting thing for me about paintings is the emotions that I can feel through brushstrokes and colours. I'm interested in personal connections between artists and their work. But for installations, I've realized that I used to be driven by my emotions when paint, but with the specific themes are set for the project, I've changed the way how I approach, how I see, how I think about the work. I have a growing interest in sculpture now - a wonderland with 'the language of objects' to show the ideas of mine. The project 'Collection' is the proof of me - the collective nature with old letters, box and the core message of 'a mad man' (mental state).
During the past year, I've gained amounts of skills - attended short courses in various universities around the UK as a way to know more about the course and the environment - painting in oil mostly; anatomy and life drawing courses; wood engraving and printmaking and so on... There are so many exciting cultural events to be seen, to experience., which all make me feel longing for the future study in an art faculty, by taking lectures, having resources to expand knowledge of my interests or questions I've been thinking about, also learning with self-exploration, reflection on working progress through projects. In one word, Yes, I want to know more about this art world and this is one of the essential pathways I have to follow!